Feb 20, 2010

why am I doing this?

I never gave this "blogging" thing much thought when first suggested to me.  Some people have ALWAYS said I have far too much to say on all the unimportant things in life, than the important things in life.  I have given that some thought and I respectfully disagree-maybe.  Here's why. 

Everyday, we get bombarded with the so-called important things in life, some of which I agree are important, and some I do not agree are important.  But unless we change the channel; turn the dial; or change papers, where do we vent?  You can vent to your significant other, but the real issues are what should be discussed, not the mindless scribbles of a mindless person on a mindless person's palm.  What are we leaving as our legacy to our kids and their kids?  Are we really concerned or are we just responding to bothersome drivel from the beltway, whose residents are so out of touch they need Chris Columbus to guide them past I-295. Have you ever sent an email to the "leaders" within the beltway?  Did you get a response?  Did it real like a response, or a manufactured response?  Did it take as long to write the response as it took to write the question or note?  My guess is, probably not.  Point proven.


What I or you may think are important, may not be important to others, hence the dialogue between different views, in hopes of resolution (notice I said HOPES, since no real resolution has come my way for quite awhile).  Sometimes this discourse is real, but most times it seems disingenuous.  So, that brings more frustration to an already frustrated mass.  The solution then is....blogs!  Hence the reason for this one.


As I said early on, my delivery vehicle will cover a lot and maybe sports, and all kinds of sports (those without guns tho) to sometimes show humor in what we see; hear; think; or say.  Opps forgot feel (now I have all the senses covered).  And what better vehicle than games.  I find it very amusing when the Boss men (owners) call it a business and the players (employees) call it a game, only when it meets their issues.  But in reality isn't just games anyway?  You may have played the game in your youth, and didn't think of it more than just that, a game.  You then moved on in life and found your niche and still enjoyed the game.  Some ventured into the game and thought it was still a game, when in fact it was not. But the one single point in all of this, sports has always given everyone, and I mean everyone, a piece of the playing field one could call their own, no holds barred.  You can be good at bowling, but couldn't put a ball in a basket if you were standing over it.  Your hand-eye coordination is so great people gasp at moonshots over the fence, but you could never master the footwork of a soccer player (except for one Omar Vizquel).  You could stand the rush of a 6'6'', 325 lbs player in your face for four to five seconds, but would have a hard time going from first to third on a hit behind the runner to right field.  Sports has allowed everyone to find a place, no matter what your skills; beliefs; attitudes; principles; are. The moment may be relatively brief, but it a moment that will be remembered by you and others forever.  Said to say that doesn't seem to be the fact on the really important issues in life in 2010.

So, to bring this post to a closing on a high note, I am pleased to say, Spring Training has now begun and my beloved Papooses are tied for the division lead!  Just don't know how long the tie will last!!! 

4 comments:

  1. Alas, Spring has sprung - Go Tribe!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicely written.

    My current favorite "sports" are the ones where I compete against myself. Not to set or match a world record; simply to improve over my previous efforts. Why is this so? Probably because my eyesight and eye-hand coordination suck, or I have little strength or endurance. Perhaps because I am a poor loser. Chances are, I am probably also a poor winner...but have few experiences from which to judge. So, each time I swim, I will try to add an extra lap or two; walking, try to push it another 1/2-mile; etc.

    Cross-country skiing is a good example. I go whenever I can, and particularly enjoy skiing in Lake and Geouga counties. Two years ago, I went one time for an arduous 45 minutes, at the Girdled Road reserve. Fast forward two years, I went again last month, again for 45 minutes, this time at our neighboring Quail Hollow State Park. The conditions were perfect: deep snow, moderate temps around 15F, clear, bright blue sky, no wind-chill, and tremendous glide! This afternoon, if I can finish writing this before dark, I may go again, and this time push myself to, maybe, 50 minutes. Who knows?

    My best sports involve mindless, repetitive motions. Walking: left foot, right foot, left foot (breathe), right foot, left foot (breathe), right foot, left foot (breathe), right foot, left foot (breathe), right foot, left foot (breathe), right foot, left foot (breathe), right foot, left foot (breathe), right foot, left foot (breathe), right foot, left foot (breathe), right foot, left foot (breathe), right foot, left foot (breathe), right foot, left foot (breathe), right foot, left foot (breathe), right foot, left foot (breathe), right foot, left foot (breathe), ; Skiing: left foot, right foot, left foot (breathe), right foot, left foot (breathe), right foot, left foot (breathe), right foot, left foot (breathe), right foot, left foot (breathe), right foot, left foot (breathe), right foot, left foot (breathe), left foot, right foot, left foot (breathe), right foot, left foot (breathe), right foot, left foot (breathe), right foot, left foot (breathe), right foot, left foot (breathe), right foot, left foot (breathe), right foot, left foot (breathe), right foot, left foot (breathe); Swimming: left side (breathe), right side, left side (breathe), right side, left side (breathe), right side, left side (breathe), right side, left side (breathe), right side, left side (breathe), right side, left side (breathe), right side, left side (breathe), right side, left side (breathe), right side, left side (breathe), right side, left side (breathe), right side, left side (breathe), right side, left side (breathe), right side, left side (breathe), right side, left side (breathe), right side, left side (breathe), right side, left side (breathe), right side, left side (breathe), right side, left side (breathe), but you probably get the idea.

    Well, now I think I'm going to look for my skis, and then think about maybe skiing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. has anyone read Paul hoynses latest piece of crap on cleveland.com? because it sucks

    that is all

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't say that I completely disagree with Hoynes!

    ReplyDelete