Feb 15, 2010

one week down, who knows how many more?!?!?!?

I didn't know if I could blabber on for so many days, but I guess my wife is right (like all the time!!) and here I am, back for week #2 of who knows how many more.  So as they say, let the games begin.

Past weekend had a variety of things to view on the boob tube.  (BTW-Why have we for years referred to a TV with a poignant part of a female's anatomy?  Could it be that's where all the eyes of men go when viewing/talking with their better half?  I know we shouldn't but let's face it, we are all pigs-right ladies!)  But back to serious issues. Did you take in the NBA-All Money...oops, Star game from that edifice in Texas?  Was it worth it? Well for me the answer is a simple NO!  First off, basketball is known for being played in an intimate (love that word) arena.  Remember the original Madison Square Garden; the old Chicago Stadium; ARCO arena in Sac-Town; old Bahstan Garden; and the Richfield Coliseum?  Now those were places where the crowds were just that, crowds.  Yesterday's event was nothing more than Jerry (another nip-n-tuck there) Jones' statement look at me.  Football-OK in a dome like that, maybe even baseball (I said maybe!), but basketball.  Count me out!  I remember the first game like that in the Astrodome in '69.  Lew Alcindor (AKA Kareem Abdul Jabar) v. Elvin Hayes.  Old black-n-white TV showing a game that seemed out of place at 2nd base.  No real back ground for court awareness, but it drew a huge crowd, but nothing else.  So, yesterday's event did nothing more than promote the hanging island (the video display); site-lines that needed a Trip-Tik from the Auto Club; and I am afraid to venture a guess-the cost of a drink of water.  (OK-little dig at the Cavs and missing drinking fountains).  But there was more to view and I did a little.

Followed some Olympic action.  Watched something called the combined.  I'm told that there is ski jumping from a normal hill (is there an abnormal hill too?) in the morning and then some kind of cross country skiing in the afternoon.  Didn't see the whole event (I may be a couch sweet potato but not that big of one) just caught the last 20 minutes or so.  OK, an American was leading and that got the old patriotic juices flowing and I was hooked.  Ultimately, the guy faded, but another U-S-A teammate came on and took Silver!  First time a medal was ever won!  Then I saw the reason why I don't do this.  Every finisher fell flat on their face from exhaustion!  And they were the finishers!  As Dick Endberg would say, "My oh my!",  I will say, "Why oh why?"

There was Woman's hockey, US v.China.  Now come on..first women playing hockey and now the Chinese are too?  Even with local talent on the team, 20 seconds was enough.  Let me know when the Canadians and the Americans hook up and I may be interested in a short view.

NASCAR's Daytona 500 was on and with a delay for a chuck-hole, the race reached a crawl, then a pit stop, then a halt.  It is bad enough I dodge chuck-holes all over NE Ohio, but now I have to dodge them on TV?  Nope, changed the channel!

Next, something called the PGA. You know, since Texting Wildwoods is not out of sex rehab (isn't that an oxymoron) yet and back on the tour, the PGA has legally rebranded itself as  Professional Golfers Anonymous!  Quite fitting don't you think?

So in closing I did what every warm bodied male does when the "Boob Tube" is boring, I turned to ESPN Sprotscenter and watch what I didn't want to watch live.  Now that was more like it!!

PS: Spring Training is just around the corner!!  My Lil' Injuns are just about to get ready and I know I am!!

3 comments:

  1. The NBA snore-star fest, as usual was slow, boring, and not in anyway interesting, the game of horse was so slow and boring, i actually had conversation with Rachael, ( my girlfriend of 2 1/2 years ) the PG skills contest was alright, steve nash is still the best, the three point skills competion was about as good as it could have been with stephen curry because he will be the best 3 point shooter for the next 10 years, it was all worth watching until.....the slam dunk contest. it sucked, it failed, it was terrible, no one i actually cared about competed, i dont care that Nate Robinson won, whoopty freaking doo, does anyone else know he didnt play for 29 straight games, got off the bench dropped 42 points, then sat for another 10? didnt think so. until lebron, d-howard, d-wade, and another big superstar, maybe vincanity because its all hes still good for, no one will watch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still not done, heres a shout to J.J. your team SUCKS! building a 1.5 billion dollar stadium will not improve anything but the thickness of your wallet maybe you should take a look at, and i cant believe being one who bleeds brown and orange im going to say this, dont spite me dad, the rooney brothers, as much as i cant stand, despise, and even the very thought of the steelers make me sick, they know how to run a franchise. ugh.... Curling, its all i have to say about the Winter Olympics, if you havent watched, watch because its about as interesting as any other sport, because, you slide a rock on ice to knock off other rocks, its awesome and its intense ( no im not being sarcastic i promise you. ) final score of whky USA vs CHN? 12-1 USA, and thats the end of that take.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this ones gonna be quick, NASCAR is not sport, its its a sport then driving on the I-90 turnpike from BGSU to Cleveland would make me a freaking superstart so there. Golf wont be interested until Tiger makes his return in march, he'll win, then we wont remember why he was gone, did he hurt his knee again, or did he lose his keys, whatever "GET IN THE HOLE!" I. CAN. NOT. WAIT. FOR. SPRING. TRAINING!!!!!!!!!! i told rachael, that i had exciting news on sunday, pitchers and catchers report to ST in two weeks, she just stared blankly, women just dont understand the excitement that brings.

    ReplyDelete