Mar 7, 2010

do you see what I see?

Finally, two, yes count them, two days in a row and the sun is shinning (get me my shades)!  And to make it even better, my  Tribe has won two straight games in Cactus League play!  As some one recently said, "Whoo Hooo"!  Yeah, I know it is spring training and nothing counts.  Well, after the past two years, there has to be a starting point, and these are small (okay, microscopic) steps in the right direction.  Earlier posts acknowledged my feelings for Eric Wedge as a big league manager.  No knock against him as a person, but as a manager, I think my son could have accomplished the same as he.  (My son, oh he just started his teen years!!  Only kidding dude, I know you are old enough to drive and drink, better not be together tho!)  Any way, there were times at the Jake when we took in games and guessed what Wedge was going to do, not in a positive way, but in a critique of Wedge's managing skills (or lack thereof).  More than not, we were right on point!  So what does that tell ya?  Either I am in the wrong profession, or Wedge was!  Since I am still a season ticket holder, the answer lies with Wedge.  Does Manny Acta give me and other fans hope and optimism?  Why not?  When you are at the bottom a division that has the KC Royals, you search for SOMETHING!  Even if it is two meaningless spring training games.  The purpose of spring training is to wet the juices of the fans, not get the players ready for the year.  Hell, baseball like all other professional sports is a year-round activity.  No more ending the  season; rest through the winter, get to spring training and get in shape for the season.  Too much money floating around to act the old way.  One of the reasons the Tribe went back to Arizona was the climate and more players live in the area year-round.  So give them the best complex for the  off season and get rid of the old off season.  And the Tribe is not the only team doing this.  But back to my Tribe.  Another step in the right direction, is Manny being Manny (not that Manny, but our Manny).  He is the mgr. and he is going to do what he feels is correct.  First thing, take the only established star (Grady) and move him into a better line-up slot to take advantage of Grady's skills.  Bravo Manny!  Good move and don't stop there.  Put Jo-hanny Peralta in the line-up at 3rd and tell him, produce or sit the pines.  Screw his ego.  I for one have had enough of his matador defense at SS (you know waving at a feeble ground ball and say, O-lay!) And let's stop this STUPID-STUPID idea of having 9 guys in the line-up who can play all nine positions, but not one well!!!  Where ever did Wedge get that genius of an idea.  Find the best position player at each position; put them there and tell them to play! Period!  That does not seem like rocket science to me.  How about you?  Finally, just give me a team of players who want to play; give the extra to learn; and get on the field and do it.  No more DeLucci/Michaels tandems that can't even combine to hit .230+, 10 HRS and 50 RBIs. Example-who is a starting OF for the Mariners?  Couple of seconds more.  None other than Franklin Guiterriz!  Where did they get him...oh yeah, Cleveland.  Wedge just never gave him a long stretch in the line-up without FG feeling one misstep and he is back riding the pines, or steel whatever a bench is now made of.

So, keep the sun a shinning; keep the Tribe a winning, and I'll keep a believing cause that is all we can do right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment